Know Your Rights
Employment Law Resources
“Know Your Rights” is an online guide to state and federal employment laws. The Wagoner Law Firm produced this guide with the goal of providing employees with information about their legal rights in the workplace.
This guide is not intended to provide a comprehensive overview of all areas of employment law. Rather, it provides information about various legal issues that employees frequently encounter in the workplace. This guide also seeks to correct common misinformation about the legal rights afforded to employees, such as the common misconception that a salaried employee is ineligible to receive overtime wages just because they are paid by salary instead of by the hour.
The Wagoner Law Firm’s “Know Your Rights” guide has been organized into the following sections:
- Guide to the Fair Labor Standards Act: The Wagoner Law Firm’s Guide to the Fair Labor Standards Act, or “FLSA Guide” for short, is an online resource for information about federal wage-and-hour laws and litigation. Although the FLSA Guide is written from a plaintiff-employee’s perspective, it strives to retain objectivity.
- Employment Law Frequently Asked Questions: This section provides general information in response to questions related to employment law that employees frequently ask.
- Common Employment Law Issues by Pay Method: “Pay method” refers to the method by which an employer determines the amount of an employee’s paycheck. Common pay methods include hourly pay, salary, job rates, day rates, commission, and piece rates or “production pay.” This section provides a description of common pay methods and the legal issues that can arise under each method.
- Common Employment Law Issues by Industry: This section provides information about wage-and-hour violations that are commonly found in the following industries: restaurants and hotels, repair services, retail, healthcare, construction, janitorial services, security services, energy, manufacturing, transportation, warehousing, food-processing, and various other industries. (Coming Soon.)
- Common Employment Law Issues by Job Type: This section provides information about wage-and-hour violations that are commonly found in particular job types. (Coming Soon.)
- Remedies Available in Employment Law Cases: This section provides information about the remedies that are available to employees with employment-law claims. (Coming Soon.)